Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Two years, probably more.

I cannot believe that I've not visited Kennedy Krieger for my intensive occupational and physical therapies in over two years.  I love this place so much and it is so very special.  The staff is amazing.  The equipment is cutting edge.  The opportunities and possibilities are endless.  I've made many two week outpatient visits but as of late it seems like life has been making this not so feasible.

I cannot blame everything on the medical things that have prevented me from going because I'm just as responsible.  My motivation has been lacking to say the least.  I want to recover as much as humanly possible but eventually you just hit a wall and give up.  That's not the type of person I want to be but sometimes it's damn near impossible for me to pretend that I care about stimming my arms one more hour.  After all, who knows how many hours I've already logged and here my arms lie.  Motionless.

But these are all negative things that need to be pushed out of my mind.  What is one more hour going to do?  I don't know.  Maybe nothing.  Maybe something.  Really what can it hurt?  If I don't do anything with my arms, what's that going to do?  Well, absolutely nothing.  What does this have to do with Kennedy?  I guess I kind of got lost and went on a tangent.  Anyway, Kennedy gives me this amazing boost of energy and morale.  I know that I need to keep this going beyond the two weeks that I'm there or ultimately those 10 days are pointless.  Continuing the work at home is the most important part of going there and receiving their training, knowledge and experience for the results I'm looking to achieve when I set my goals my first day there.

Also, this trip is going to be different.  My wife and aide will be coming and will learn things to hopefully improve and simplify everyone's life.  I'm very excited for this.  Not just for them to talk with the therapists, have them see what they do and hopefully pick up some things, but actually see the facilities and go through the motions with me.  I cannot wait!  It's going to be very beneficial for every one.

So that's it for now.  The countdown continues.  It will be here soon, just not soon enough!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Sounds like an invaluable trip, not only for you, but for everyone going with you!! Good luck, brutha

    I'm seriously considering popping in on Craig in Colorado on my road trip this summer – not as much for therapy, but assistive technology and things that will help us do life in the here & now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helped me to read that Aaron. Life is work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm, is your mother going to be going with you ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hitting the Wall happens time to time. so learning how to backtrack or stop short of the wall will become a familiar skill - this being the first time you have to try out different ways of backtracking- i know you will meet success. i have been in and out of Physical Therapy so many times - mostly due to injury. there has also been times when i have hit the wall so hard i didn't bother to lift my head and look around for a year, sometimes more. sometimes, even Dtrs miss it, and everyone thinks the cause is this, only to discover later, it was that- and that can do the same thing - stop you in your tracks - becuase you can't figure out why you aren't meeting with success. for me, it is the stress tipping point i have to watch for becuase stress has an affect upon my phsycial being as well as mental. and i have to always take care of my spirituality - for it informs me of the wider world around me and how wonderful and beautiful it all is and that spills over into my own sense of being in the world alongside everyone else. so, here's hoping for the best. and Many Blessing upon You and Your Family!

    ReplyDelete