Monday, June 24, 2013

One Year Down!



Happy one year wedding anniversary to my beautiful wife!  I never would have guessed when we started off just as friends that things would have developed the way that they did.  What a lucky man I am.  Not only did I become a husband, I became a step dad as well.  Both can be tough jobs but both are so rewarding!

My situation is a unique one, to say the least, and it takes a very special woman just to spend a significant amount of time with me, let alone marry me.  I will never forget about our first date.  Anybody can say being seen with me in public would not bother or embarrass them but when we finally got that far, it was showtime!  You did not disappoint!  You made it clear you were not ashamed to be seen with me.  The only disappointments I had were that you would not sit in my lap and let me drive you from the vehicle to the restaurant, and vice versa, and that I did not get a goodnight kiss.  Now, I hate to lose.  So much so I cannot accurately put it into words. You said that you hated sitting on people's laps, and a kiss seemed like it was just a matter of time if things continued between us, so I wanted the challenge.  I told you that you would be sitting in my lap within a month.  You pretty much told me I was crazy and it wasn't going to happen.  Man, I love being right!  I don't know how long it took for you to cave but it was less than a month.  You just couldn't turn down a free ride in my amazingly sexy wheelchair.  I don't think the kiss took too long either!  It's my favorite game - it's called I win!


We have had many many pictures taken since that time but the one that our waiter took is an absolute favorite!  It was our first together!




It hasn't exactly been the easiest year of my life and I'm sure that's an gigantic understatement for you.  I've had pneumonia, carbon monoxide poisoning more or less, lots of pain, two surgeries and only god knows what I'm forgetting.  We've shared plenty of smiles.  Had many stupid arguments.  Through everything, you've always been there.  You are my constant.  You are my best friend.  You've become my everything.  I know sometimes that does not seem the case because I can be absolutely miserable.  Sometimes because that's just the way things are but also my disability can get the best of me.  Either way, we see our way through it and things go back to the way they should be!

You are a beautiful, funny, goofy, selfless, family oriented, driven, loving daughter, sister, cousin, niece, mother and wife!  That is undeniable as far as I'm concerned!  I'm so lucky to have witnessed all of these great qualities in you.


(recently taken picture which is actually the first time we ever sat next to each other!)


Melissa, you took someone who just about had enough with love and was about to give up.  I wondered if I would ever find that special someone.  Then, through a string of right things happening at the right time, there you were.  You have helped me grow so much.  I only hope I can continue growing, being that husband and other half that you want out of life, because you're just that for me!  Hopefully we can continue being a power (wheelchair) couple!  :-)


To many more!  I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment